Powerful Schools reduces the academic achievement gap by creating strong partnerships with public schools to help children thrive. Through literacy, arts, after-school and leadership programs, we ensure all children succeed both in and out of school.
Since 1991, Powerful Schools has delivered stimulating, multi-year, school-wide academic programs integrated into public elementary schools in Seattle and S. King County. Our target audience is children who are the least empowered and whom are enrolled in schools that lack resources. During the 2011-12 school year, Powerful Schools will work with more than 4,000 children and their families inside of 12 Seattle and S. King County elementary schools and five CDSA preschools.
The Development Associate will support the work of Powerful Schools' fund development department and reports to the Development Director. The Development Associate is responsible for assisting with all events, campaigns and communications as they relate to development and fundraising for Powerful Schools. Additional responsibilities include donor acknowledgment and tracking, support for direct mailing and grant submission efforts, and assisting with marketing responsibilities and other program-related events may also be included in annual duties.
• Manage gift acknowledgment process and support all donor cultivation efforts.
• Assist with execution of all Powerful Schools events; including the annual fundraising breakfast, auction, community fairs/events, student showcase events, orientations or staff appreciation events on an as needed basis.
• Maintain organization's website and social media presence.
• Assist with communications and messaging efforts.
• Assist with fundraising appeals and direct-mailing efforts.
• Assist Development Director with grant submissions and reporting.
• Attend Board Fund Development Committee's meetings.
• Assist with data management and database cleanup.
• Provide backup for general office management duties; answering phones, data entry, processing mail, routing information, and filing.
• Undertake special projects at the direction of the Executive Director and Development Director.
• Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies
• One to two years of administrative and/or fundraising experience
• Fluency in MS Office required
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite preferred
• Excellent oral, and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational and project management skills
• Self-starter who is comfortable in a close-knit team-oriented setting
• Flexibility and eagerness to learn and work on multiple tasks as needed
• Development or non-profit experience a plus
• Event planning experience a plus
• Knowledge of SalesForce or similar data base a plus
• Interest in making a 2 - 3 year commitment
• Sense of humor
35-40 hours per week, some evenings and weekends, $14.00 - $16.00 per hour to start.
To Apply: Please send resume and a cover letter that clearly articulates your interest and abilities to Jenn Daly, Development Director, at the attached address by December 1, 2011.