Seattle School Board
Volunteer Public Advisor
The Seattle School Board is seeking qualified candidates to serve as independent, volunteer, expert advisors to the Board’s Audit & Finance Committee. The Committee is composed of three elected Seattle School Board Directors and is charged with monitoring budget, financial and audit related matters of the District. One or more public advisor positions are being created to provide additional public involvement and expert advice to the Committee. The public advisor(s) will draw from their professional expertise to advise the committee members on matters related to improving internal financial and governance controls of the Seattle Public Schools. The role of the advisor is to evaluate solutions proposed by staff in terms of effectiveness and offer a professional opinion to the Board members.
This position will be a non-voting advisor to the Committee. This is a volunteer position and compensation and benefits will not be provided.
Qualified individuals interested in this position should submit a letter of interest and resume that outlines their audit expertise by demonstrating:
- Experience with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and generally accepted auditing standards (GAAS)
- Experience in the examination, preparation or auditing of the financial statements of public entities
- Experience in the application of GAAP in regards to estimates, accruals, and reserves
- Experience in the assessment and evaluation of internal controls, including risk assessment
- An understanding of, or experience with, a public sector Audit Committee
- An understanding of, or experience with, performance audits
- Knowledge of public education policy, financial reporting requirements, and Washington law is helpful and valued but not required
Can make a commitment to serve a two year term, affirmed annually by the Chair of the Audit & Finance Committee
Please send your letter of application (limited to one page) and resume (limited to two pages) to Theresa Hale in the School Board Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Board will select one or more applicants for advisor positions on a competitive basis based upon the qualifications of candidates and needs of the Committee.
To learn more about the Audit & Finance Committee work, please click here To learn more about our recent audit results and response, please see our webpage: click here