Seattle Needs You!
City boards and commissions give citizens a voice in government.
"Get Engaged" places young adults ages 18-29 on boards and commissions each fall. Serving in an advisory capacity
to the Mayor and City Council, commissioners help shape policy decisions, make recommendations, and provide citizen participation in city government. Get Engaged, a partnership between the City of Seattle and Metrocenter YMCA, is dedicated to cultivating the next generation of leaders and highlighting the value of youth voice in city affairs. Even if you’ve never considered a role in public service, this program is for you. Experience doesn’t matter. Passion does.
The Commitment: Two Parts
1. Board commitment: Get Engaged participants are appointed to serve a one-year term (September 2010 – September 2011) as a full voting member on a city board or commission (see participating boards on the
following page). Participants agree to attend regularly scheduled board meetings and contribute 6-10 hours each
month to committee meetings.
2. Get Engaged commitment: In addition to board service, Get Engaged participants:
• Attend an overnight retreat in the fall;
• Meet with the Get Engaged team once a month for skill-building, current issue discussions, and an
opportunity to reflect on your experience;
• Connect with and learn from a peer group of other civically-minded young adults.
The Application Process
Timeline April 23, 2010 Application Deadline
May 2010 (mid-late) Applicants interview with Commissions
June/July 2010 Participants notified of appointments August/ September 2010 Participants are confirmed by City Council
September 2010 Participants begin their term. Applicants must reside in the City of Seattle and be between 18 and 29 at the time of appointment. Please e-mail the application materials listed below to Sid Peterson at email@example.com.
2. A cover letter (1 page) for each commission to which you are applying, indicating your interest in
the commission(s), and reflecting on the following:
o The relevant qualities, abilities, and knowledge you bring to the board or commission.
o Why you would like to be involved in the Get Engaged program.
3. Your current resume. All applications must be submitted electronically by April 23, 2010.
Questions? Contact Sid Peterson at 206.382.5005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.